Monday, June 23, 2008

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Of the poems I have read so far, I truly loved "Sonnets from the Portuguese" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. While reading the Sonnets, I had goosebumps reading them because of how passionate and intense they were. She truly reveals her love for Robert in these Sonnets. My favorite sonnet of all was Sonnet 43. She begins the sonnet with a question, "How do I love thee?" (532) and she begins to list the many ways she loves him. She's revealing her inner thoughts within the poem. It almost reminded me of a wedding vow while reading this. She will continue to love him even after death, "I shall but love thee better after death" (532). He seems to be her every desire. I loved the lines, "In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith," because her love for Robert seems to overcome and erases all her past griefs and he is what makes her happy. It was such a moving poem, almost brought tears to my eyes. She wrote these before they were married, and so she must have known that he was her soul mate, maybe it was love at first sight.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Thao,

As in your previous post, this one gets off to a good start, seems on the right track, but doesn't really explore the topic in adequate depth. I am glad you enjoyed the poem so much, but you need to share more of your perceptions with the reader.

Samantha Simon said...

I loved E. Browning's sonnets as well. Love is such a strong emotion and I like that she expressed her love for Robert in such a passionate way.