Monday, June 23, 2008

Robert Browning

Before actually reading the poem, the title "Porphyria's Lover", made me think it was going to be a typical lovy dovy poem, and after reading his wife's sonnets, it gave me a bigger impression that this poem was going to be passionate and loving as well. After reading the poem, I was in total shock of what Porphyria's lover had actually done. Thoughts ran through my head after reading it such as why on earth had he done what he did, what was going through his head, and IS HE MENTAL????? They seemed like a typical couple who were in love with one another, and of course they were except he was kind of nutty. In line 25, when it says "But sometimes passion sometimes would prevail," I did not actually think that the love was thinking about murder. He seems like a narcisist, loving that "Porphyria worshipped him" (ln 33). Why on earth would he murder the one who he loved. He didn't seem bothered by it, but actually pleased with what he had done. This poem was extremely twisted, and made me quite furious.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Thao,

I think you are right to be surprised and confused by the ending of this poem--that effect is just what Browning wanted to create. I would have liked to see more close reading of the poem, though, to analyze how he created your response, and to speculate on why he might have wanted to. Also, remember to quote verse sentences, and not just lines out of context.

Samantha Simon said...

I totally agree with you. He is a psychotic but underneath his mental disposition there really is a lot of love there for Porphyria.

PYT said...

I agree, I was deceived by the title. I was hoping that Browning was similar to his wife in the respect that he would have a love poem. I think the narrator was a little crazy